Are you worried about the mould that's growing on your walls, ceilings, or windows? Wondering how to remove mould permanently? Fear not! Our no-nonsense guide to getting rid of mould - and keeping it out - should have all the answers you need.
Mould is a fungus that grows in your home, causing discolouration on walls and ceilings. Mould survives by consuming organic matter, like wood or wallpaper. If the conditions are right and it isn't treated, mould will grow and spread throughout your home.
Mould can make your home look unsightly and uninviting. There's nothing worse than seeing a big patch of dark, wet mould growing on your bathroom wall or ceiling. In addition, mould can be very dangerous. It releases spores that can damage both your house and your health. It's important to remove mould as soon as possible after finding it.
There are many different kinds of mould that can infest a home. Some strains will be much more aggressive than others, like the dreaded black mould. Despite this, the cause of mould growth is usually quite simple and there are universal rules for removing mould permanently.
The biggest causes of mould are moisture, damp and condensation. Mould thrives in humid environments, which is why it's often found in bathrooms. The vapour released by a bath or shower makes bathroom windows a big target for mould growth.
Mould also festers in dark environments, like basements and attics. These rooms rarely see light and often have poor ventilation. It's a good idea to regularly check these rooms to make sure that mould hasn't slipped in under your nose.
If the mould in your house keeps coming back, there may be a bigger-picture issue you need to investigate:
Removing mould permanently can be a long-term project. It is important to note that unless it is a small patch of mould, it should be dealt with by mould removal experts due to the risks associated with it.
If you decide to tackle removing a small amount yourself, you need to make sure that things like temperature and humidity are under control. If not, spores will keep festering; they thrive in damp, warm environments. The first step to removing mould permanently is to clean it safely.
There are some things to bear in mind before cleaning mould. For one thing, you should never brush the mould - always wipe it clean off. Brushing or touching the surface of the mould will agitate it, releasing spores into the air. Unless you're prepared, these spores might grow back again somewhere else. You could even breathe them in and risk damaging your health, so ideally you should call in the professionals.
Wearing goggles, gloves and a mask is the best way to prevent yourself from harm when removing small patches of mould. Once you're wearing them, you'll want to consider what kind of cleaner you're using. Many home cleaning brands produce mould remover sprays. These are a trusted option if you're unsure, but you can also use common products from under the sink.
Detergents such as washing-up liquid aren't built for removing mould permanently. However, they will help to remove small patches of mould during regular cleaning. Just wipe the mould gently and dry thoroughly once finished.
White vinegar is naturally anti-fungal and it's a cheap alternative to branded cleaners. Be wary, though, since it doesn't treat all kinds of mould.
Spray the white vinegar directly onto the patch of mould and leave it for around twenty minutes. Once it's worked its magic, wipe the mould off with a damp, soapy cloth, and dry the area afterwards.
Bleach can be a much more effective way of removing mould permanently. All you need to do is mix one part bleach with three parts water. Spray or wipe the bleach mixture over your patch of mould, and then carefully wipe the mould off. Repeat until you're finished.
Now that you've wiped all the mould off your walls, ceilings and windows, the important part begins. You have to make sure that your home doesn't encourage more growth in the future and that there are no issues with the property itself.
A great way to keep mould out of the bathroom is to make sure that the sealants on your windows aren't loose. Loose sealants allow rain to seep into any area of your house and bathroom windows are especially vulnerable. If your windows are sealed up tight, try keeping the room ventilated after a bath or shower. Open the windows to let the moisture out, then close them again once everything's dry.
In general, you should be drying any wet area - like spillages or leaks - immediately. This prevents them from affecting humidity and safeguards you from unnecessary mould growth.
Check the general humidity of your house by purchasing a moisture meter. These track the moisture in your home, and you can buy them at any good DIY home store. Make sure that the humidity in your home isn't above 60%.
If it is, there might be a problem with your ventilation in general. It might not be robust enough to keep up with the humidity levels. In these cases, you should consider getting specialist advice.
If you're a commercial property owner or renter, you may have your work cut out for you. Extreme cases of mould, especially after flooding or leakage, can be a nightmare. If you're finding it hard to remove mould and damp permanently, you can always get in touch with us on 0800 030 4360, or by e-mailing us.
We are specialists in helping businesses and landlords cut through the grime and get their buildings back into shape. In 2023, we received the Feefo Gold Trusted Service Award for outstanding customer service, so you know you can trust us to deliver a safe, stress-free experience during a critical time for your business.