As new cases of Covid-19 or otherwise known as Coronavirus continue to crop up around the world at an increasing pace, the spread of the virus continues to spark fear in the general public and as a result, the rumour mill has kick-started into overdrive with countless fake news articles on the best measures for infection control.
We thought we would take some time to first clear up some of the myths around Coronavirus and secondly to explain why, if you’re a school or commercial business deep cleaning, can form an important part of your infection control strategy.
Coronavirus Infection Control MythBusters
Here are some answers to help clear up the current confusion around the specific spread of Coronavirus:
Myth 1: Cold weather and snow can kill the new Coronavirus.
- False – There is no reason to believe that cold weather can kill the new Coronavirus or other diseases. The normal human body temperature remains around 36.5°C to 37°C, regardless of the external temperature or weather.
Myth 2: Saline, garlic and sesame oil can prevent Coronavirus infection.
- False – There is “no evidence” that these products can ward off Coronavirus (COVID-19). World Health Organization (WHO) notes that although there is research underway to find a vaccine, nothing is currently available. Right now, the best methods of prevention are to avoid close contact with sick individuals, wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, clean and disinfect hard surfaces, and limit touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Myth 3: Coronavirus can spread from products, letters or packages from China.
- False – People receiving packages from China or purchasing products from China are not at risk of contracting Coronavirus. Previous analysis shows that Coronaviruses do not survive long on objects, such as letters or packages.
Myth 4: Alcohol gels won’t kill Coronavirus
- False – hands are the main routes that viruses make their way into your system and therefore washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water and where possible used an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with higher than 60% alcohol are most effective in killing microbes.
Could a deep clean be effective for my business to contain the spread of infection?
Undoubtedly you have heard a lot in the press recently about various offices, medical centres, schools and other commercial businesses undergoing infection control deep cleaning to try and slow or contain the spread of Coronavirus specifically and so you may be wondering what a deep clean actually entails and if it’s something that your businesses could benefit from?
Every surface can look clean after a quick wipe over but is it really clean?
Deep cleaning involves a controlled and structured clean that is more thorough and detailed than a standard clean. What’s more cleaning and decontamination, are two very important but distinctive steps to minimise the spread of infectious diseases through ingestion, inhalation or contact.
Within large “populated” environments it is important for decontamination services to be carried out regularly in order to ensure that equipment, surfaces etc are free from the microbes which cause infection. At CPL t/a CPL t/a CPL t/a Rainbow International our deep cleaning will cover the following::
- We use an antimicrobial spray which is sprayed directly onto the cloth or mop and the affected hard services are wiped up to a height of 2 metres.
- All carpets and soft furnishings will need to be steam cleaned or wet extraction cleaned using an antimicrobial.
- Curtains or other laundry items will be removed and placed in a bag for safe removal for laundering at a hot temperature with an appropriate and effective additive.
- Waste bins will be disinfected inside, outside including the top and bottom.
- Any hazardous waste will be disposed of in a safe and legally compliant manner to help ensure no further cross-contamination. We follow the COVID-19: infection prevention and control guidance as set out by Public Health England.
- All clinical waste will be correctly segregated, transported and disposed of in line with clinical waste regulations.
Minimising disruption to your premises
We at CPL t/a CPL t/a CPL t/a Rainbow International are acutely aware of the need to ensure your school or business stays open and so are as flexible as possible on when and how we work. We will work with you around your timetable to minimise the impact to your operation as much as possible.
We recognise safeguarding vulnerable groups is paramount and so our technicians are all DBS checked so can work within school environments safely.
So whether it’s a one-off for an emergency infection control deep clean or on a contract basis we can work to your schedule to ensure you are able to maintain a healthy and hygienic environment for your business or school.
Don’t risk your business or health!
If your premise has been subject to a suspected or confirmed infection case, speak to one of our technical team to see how we can help reduce the risk of contamination. At CPL t/a CPL t/a CPL t/a Rainbow International we are hygiene specialists with our primary areas of cleaning taking place within the commercial and educational sectors.
We promise to provide:
- Emergency call out 24/7 365 days a year so we’re always here should you need us
- Safe disposal of waste
- Latest technology and hygiene best-practice standards adhered to
- BDMA certified
- Reduction of microbes helps to prevent further transmission of infection.