Fire damage threatens a pub wedding

An electrical fault caused fire damage and smoke damage that required ozone, to the main bar area at the grade II listed Leicester Arms Hotel in Penshurst, Tonbridge on Friday 28th September. This was three working days before a scheduled wedding reception was due to take place at 3pm on Thursday 04 October.

Management at the Leicester Arms Hotel made an emergency call to Charles Piton Ltd (CPL) about the fire damage.

Five experienced technicians from CPL used a sanitiser to clean the hotel, remove all fire damage and deodorise smoke damage using ozone. A nasty odour from the smoke damage was the biggest challenge to CPL’s clean up team.

We didn’t simply clean the main bar area complete, with copper topped tables and log fires. We also cleaned the carpeted common areas and 13 guest rooms on the first and second floor using state-of-the-art fire damage cleaning equipment.

ozone

Charles Piton Ltd documented the damage for the hotel’s insurance company and prioritised the job as an emergency. The wedding took place before the hotel fully reopened for business.

The bride thanked CPL’s experienced technicians for their efficient, hard work and said she was greatly relieved that she did not have to move or postpone her wedding. She said:” “Oh my god thank you so, so much, you have saved my wedding!”

Her bridal party and hotel staff all said they were extremely happy and impressed with the speed, care and efficiency of CPL.

Charles Piton Ltd repaired the fire damage to the highest standard without any inconvenience or potential financial loss to the bride and groom.

The fire at the hotel affected the main bar and restaurant area and 13 guest rooms as well as landings and corridors. It required the Leicester Arms to make a big insurance claim. Their insurance company appointed a loss adjuster who said: “Thank you so much to your team for attending to this job so efficiently, it is much appreciated.”

To complete the job, CPL’s experienced technicians installed an air manager to ventilate the bar and restaurant areas during the day and an air purifier on the first floor landing. We taped up all smoke alarms so that we could use ozone in six bedrooms and a landing on the top floor which encapsulates the fire damage. CPL cleaned and deodorised the walls using a sanitiser. One wall was brick featured with wooden beams above the windows.

Ceilings, carpets, curtains, bathrooms in all the bedrooms and the stairs, landings and emergency exits were all cleaned using a sanitiser and deodorised. Air manager ventilation systems were then moved to the top floor. Velos dried the carpets on the first and second floor corridors and one bedroom.

All the electrical systems throughout the hotel were PAT tested and then all the areas that were cleaned, were snagged to check they were up to standard on the first and second floors. This was very important because an electrical fault started the fire. Ozone was used to deodorise the first floor rooms and corridor.

A contaminated bag of insulation was taken for disposal from the laundry room cavities, any fogged cavities were cleaned out and deodorised.

To sum up, Charles Piton Ltd attended the Leicester Arms Hotel very quickly in answer to an emergency call.

CPL’s team inspected the fire damage and carried out immediate mitigation action on their first visit.

We then completed the job within four days, making sure that the bride could enjoy her big day without any inconvenience in pristine surroundings.

Fire and Rescue Services attended 167,150 fires in 2017/18 in the UK according to Home Office figures. This was a three per cent increase compared with the previous year (161,997) but a 43 per cent decrease compared with ten years ago (293,920 in 2007/08). The increase in fires is driven by an increase in secondary fires with primary fires showing a small decrease. Fires accounted for 30% of the fire-related incidents, 30% were non-fire incidents and 40% were fire false alarms.

The number of fire-related fatalities had been on a general downward trend until last year since comparable figures first became available in 1981/82, when there were 755 fire-related fatalities, though the numbers have fluctuated due to the relatively small numbers involved. In 2017/18, however, there were 334 fire-related fatalities (including 71 from the Grenfell Tower fire) compared with 263 in the previous year (an increase of 27%.)

electrical fault

In the US, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) carried out research into fires at eating and drinking establishments. They estimated there were 7410 structure fires which resulted in three civilian deaths, 110 civilian injuries and $165 million in property damage between 2010 and 2014. Fires involving cooking equipment were by far the most common but electrical equipment was the second most common cause of a fire amounting to 9% of fires and 21% of direct property damage. You can see the full table of results below.

Structure fires in eating and drinking establishmentsFiresDirect property damage
Cooking equipment61%38%
Electrical distribution and lighting equipment9%21%
Heating equipment9%9%
Smoking materials7%7%
Intentional4%10%
 

Source: NFPA

Accreditations & Memberships

ICS_MEMBER_PR_RGB-e1522241281325
EWIF-member-logo_2018-e1519895454469
BIFM Corporate Member Logo
SafeContractor-150
acc_mem_iocn3