Don't be caught out: do a flood risk assessment

surface water flooding

Flood risk assessments are not just used to obtain planning permission

CPL t/a Rainbow International conducts Flood Risk Assessments for commercial and residential property and industrial sites. In England and Wales, the Environment Agency requires property owners to submit a Flood Risk Assessment (FRA) along with planning applications in any area at risk of flooding, such as a floodplain.
The Environment Agency will not grant planning permission in areas which have a high risk of flooding, (within flood zones 2 and 3), without an FRA. You may also need an FRA if your site is more than a hectare, to insure your property and meet building regulations when doing maintenance to the premises.
A Flood Risk assessment  can help you practically to reduce the risk of flooding by suggesting drainage strategies and emergency planning to mitigate flood damage. It can also help you satisfy planning requirements and make sure your application for a new project is granted.
When putting together your FRA, CPL t/a Rainbow International must consider whether your development will increase the likelihood of floods, what the risk is, how the flood risk may change and how it can be managed. If you need a more in depth assessment, we can provide groundwater flood risk assessments, basement impact assessments, renewable energy site assessments etc.

Doing a flood risk assessment before your property floods helps you to identify the potential risk to premises and staff, particularly if the flood is environmental and caused by the weather. You will not be the only business affected so if you have an FRA, you will be ahead of the game when trying to clean up because you can easily prioritise losses and take immediate action to limit the flood damage quickly. Resources to clean up after a bad weather incident will be at a premium so careful emergency planning is essential.

Call CPL t/a Rainbow International today to conduct a flood risk assessment before your property floods.

In the event of a flood, CPL t/a Rainbow International will be by your side to assess risk and keep you and your team safe. We’ll check that you have turned off the electricity supply and secured your premises. We’ll also help you record the damage for your insurers using photographs, videos and written evidence. Then we’ll decontaminate and sanitise your property because flood water may contain sewage including faeces. (This is sometimes called black water and it’s the most dangerous type of flood water.)
flood damage
Properties can flood for many reasons, not simply adverse weather. There are three steps to ensure an excellent clean up. First you need a risk assessment if you do not have one already. Secondly you need to understand how the flood occurred and if it’s a groundwater flood or a surface water flood. Finally CPL t/a Rainbow International will need to do a chemical or biological analysis of what happened to determine the best way to desanitise and flood-proof your property.
Simple steps may help you to minimise the risk of a flood. To avoid surface water flooding, you need to keep drains clean and clear. If your property floods, you need to let the water flow to prevent water pressure causing the building to collapse. It’s a very good idea to enlist CPL t/a Rainbow International who are a leading, specialist flood damage restoration company to do a flood risk assessment before the premises flood. This means that in an emergency, you and your team will be prepared and know exactly who to call.

Call CPL t/a Rainbow International for a flood risk assessment today or for comprehensive, emergency help that meets your needs day and night, 365 days per year if your property is damaged.

CPL t/a Rainbow International can help you identify and understand any flood risks, mitigate these risks, produce an assessment that satisfies your local planning authority and insurers and clean up after a flood.