Customer requirements and issues to overcome
The exterior of the building has become encrusted in dirt and algae deposits which significantly detracted from the appearance of the building. Rainbow were asked to provide a cost-effective solution to clean the building minimising disruption to the daily running of the hotel.
We look at any job and aim to reduce disruption and eliminate risk for the client’s customers, the general public and our staff. The specific problems identified with this job were:
- Where do they safely work in one of the highest pedestrian footfall areas in Brighton and at the busiest time of the year?
- How to ensure as little disruption to the hotel guests and the staff when carrying out work around entrance and exit points
- How do we manage the disruption to other businesses, highways and large underground car parks located near the hotel?
- Access to adequate water and power supply
Our approach is to
- Focus on the problem during the planning stage of the job and provide the most cost effective and least disruptive solution within the constraints of health and safety, authority and client requirements
- We take full responsibility for all aspects of the work dealing with local authority permits
- Produce and communicate detailed risk assessments and method statements to our client, authorities and staff, giving them confidence that their responsibility for health and safety are being fulfilled
- Ensure the right equipment is used and the staff are trained to use this equipment safely and effectively. We work closely with our high access supplier who visits site during the quotation and planning stage
- Identify and manage clients’ expectations and ensure they are met
- Taking the weight off our clients’ shoulders and allowing their staff to concentrate on the rest of their responsibilities
- Water supply from the clients’ property was not adequate so we hired metered stand pipes from water authority
Work carried out
- To minimise cost, we used high access equipment to pressure wash the building so there was no need for expensive scaffolding. Please note this is not always possible due to health and safety and authority requirements.
- Throughout the whole process, we worked closely with the Local Authority ensuring traffic and pedestrian controls were correct at all times as well as other contractors who were carrying out an interior refurbishment
- Pressure washed paved areas to the rear and side of the hotel to remove weeds and dirt
- Part scaffolded lower elevations to media blast areas which were severely encrusted with dirt and carbon deposits